Sunday, August 03, 2008

Good Omen.

I am writing after long time…wanted to write since long…but either was lazy when had a nice thought or was with no good thought when in mood to write. Today am in mood but no topic as such…lets see what crap I write.
This Friday I shifted to a new apartment all to myself…something that I always wanted to do …and something that would support my real reason of coming down to US, staying alone…new life...new friends…lets see how things go.
Anyways, so on Friday evening had been to Wal-Mart to buy some basic stuff for the apartment…after picking up all that I needed was waiting outside with the trolley, for the cab to arrive. Had bought a full length mirror and had kept the mirror over the trolley in such a way that all the other stuff had been covered by it and the mirror too was backside up so people generally won’t make out that it’s a mirror. While I was waiting an old man who was smoking beside me suddenly started chatting to me. At first look he seemed to be the street side ignored person whom you would tend to avoid in this country. Because they don’t look all that safe to be around and you never know how they will react suddenly. Initially when he started talking I couldn’t figure out a word…he was old so his words weren’t clear. On hearing closely I realized he is asking me, if I am shifting to a new apartment…and that’s where he caught my attention. As said above hardly anything could be figured out from my trolley…but still that man had such good observation that in hardly a minute he realized that here is a girl who is all alone, new to this country and shifting to a new apartment. He then confirmed that I am an Indian…ok I know that’s easy to guess from the looks but he said that so confidently right at the first shot. He started wishing me all the best for my stay out here and in the new apartment. If that cab hadn’t arrived by then he would have continued the conversation further. Even the cab driver knew him and some passer bys too…they exchanged regards and I left with his good wishes.
That old man somehow left a mark in my mind…a person who might have had such interesting experiences in his life that a glance is enough for him to know what’s going on…an observer…highly knowledgeable…people knowing him for his knowledge…looks ignored but in reality isn’t at all...rather a street smart person. I wished our conversation would have continued a bit more...if my friends would have seen me talking to that man they would definitely say that it isn’t safe talking to such people in this country…but they know I wouldn’t care…at the end I felt it was a good omen that I got his wishes when I am about to start something new ….I can be superstitious at times :-).

No comments: